Thursday, March 13, 2014

You, me and the TV

My friend Danielle, another mother of four (including twins), told me that the second year would be harder than the first. I think I'm starting to see why. Earlier this week I took the kids to the park. Now they really want to get out and explore.

Here was Ash when we arrived.....a little drool headed down her chin. She's finally getting her first tooth, on the top!
 She was watching Gracie do this....

Gage was being Gage
 Jay was being his smiley self

Then there were the Cheerios

They were good until Jay got some
And dumped them out
 She got over it
I actually had a couple stop to tell me that she was eating Cheerios off of the ground. Um....I know that....I'm taking pictures of it. Actually, I prefer that over the leaves she's usually eating. I'm much more concerned that no one falls off the steps......or gets hit by the swings....or disappears.  That's what other moms of many tell me. You just have to let things go.

I've been busy doing some sewing over the last couple weeks. People always ask how I find time to sew. I usually tell people that I spend time I could be doing other things-like cleaning my house. That's kind of true. But the real answer is that I don't watch TV.

Usually I have one show I record-Real Housewives. Don't judge me. Since we've moved into this house I find it VERY hard to watch because I can't see the TV from my kitchen. I can't just sit and watch anything anymore. If I have time to sit still then I'd rather be napping. This year we've given up TV for lent again as a family. Some exceptions-Matt and I can turn on the home improvement shows after the kids are in bed. As we build the house it's a way for us to share ideas about what we like/don't like. The kids can choose one movie or recorded show to watch IF we're home on Friday night. We don't impose the rules on other people so the kids can watch at the gym, or friends, or Gage at his dad's.

If you've never taken a break from TV for any length of time-I encourage you to do so. You would be surprised at 1-how much you actually watch (it's probably more than you think) and 2-how much more productive you can be during that time.

Gage is doing fine with it. Now that baseball has started his schedule is pretty full. It's also been absolutely perfect weather so he'd rather play outside anyway. Gracie's been a little tougher because every day when we got home from the gym I was letting her watch a show while the babies took a nap. Now she keeps busy with her puzzles instead. If there's ever a time for Matt to go without-it's now, between football and baseball. For me, I went without cable for a couple of years so it's nothing. Sure, I'm missing the RHOBH season finale and reunion. That will rerun. Eleventy hundred times. I'll catch it then.

Seriously-consider going without for just a week. You might find that time spent enjoying a hobby is maybe better than watching a show. Don't have a hobby? Even more reason for you to give up TV-so you can find one. Enrich yourself.

Enough of that. Today I went out with Lauren to take some pics of Harrison and the kids. Here are some of my favorites from the day......

Gracie in her dress mama made.....
 Off with the bow....
 Jay with big drool.....
 He is such a happy baby
Ashlyn has figured out that the squeaky wheel gets the grease and she's been letting us know how she feels lately....
 She's still so sweet
These sisters don't look much like sisters
I have a picture of Gracie in a tutu at around this same age (one) and I was hoping to get one of little sister too. Getting Ashlyn to look anywhere except for down at the tutu was near impossible. This was the best I could do. 
And finally, Gracie "reading" to Harrison....
I'm off to sew something.

Love.





No comments:

Post a Comment