Tuesday, October 16, 2012

It's our anniversary.....

Today Matt and I celebrate our two year anniversary.......three kids in just two years.......technically two of them aren't here yet, but it still feels like we've set a record!

Matt and I met in January 2009. Look at us.......January 2009

I knew Matt very casually before we started dating, enough to say hello in passing at the gym but not really enough to stop and have a conversation. One good thing was that he already knew I was a single mom so we didn't have to have that conversation.

Look how little Gage was......February 2009

Matt would bring over wine and a movie after Gage went to bed. We would talk for a while and then I would fall asleep an hour into the movie because ever since becoming a mother-that's what I do. He came over on evenings I didn't have Gage and made dinner with (or for) Kelsi and me. He reminded me of home. That's always been the best way for me to describe the way I feel with him- I feel the comfort of home. I've always thought much of that comes from the fact that Matt and I are both small town kids. Even though we don't live in a small town now, and may never again, I think our hearts will always be there.

The first time Matt took me home to meet his family was at the end of March-the weekend before Tom and Kristi got married. It was like walking back in time.....here's what I remember....

The trip through the canyon had made me feel carsick so Dale fixed me some cottage cheese and peaches. At the time I hated cottage cheese but I didn't say a word and ate it anyway because my mama taught me right. It was actually really good and I've been eating it ever since. Dale's Wranglers were sagging just a little of the back of his behind-and he reminded me (and still does) a great deal of my grandpa Don. The silverware was the same that my mother had when we were growing up. I had no cell phone service. Debi hand-washed all her dishes. There was sun tea brewing on a table in the back yard. Sun tea......took me back to 1986 in the house on Valeria. We went to church and there were probably 40 people in attendance....just like the Church of Christ I grew up in. I remember thinking......."No wonder he reminds me of home".

At Tom and Kristi's wedding.....April 2009

When I met Matt he was living in an apartment with Christian and had really nothing and no one to consider other than himself and little responsibility. Just three years later he has a stay-at-home wife and four kids to support.........along with another home and suburban to purchase in the near future! He has certainly taken it in stride......hasn't even flinched. The Lord has brought much change into our lives in just two years but we are so grateful for how easy it has been.

Our wedding day, October 16, 2010

There are plenty of things to love about Matt.......anyone that knows him knows that he's just a generally good guy. Some things I love the most are that Matt has never raised his voice at me.....even when I've lost the car keys for the seventy millionth time-he only shakes his head in frustration. He compliments my cooking and says thank you for every meal....even when it's just left overs-and has taught Gage to do the same. He is grateful, always counting our blessings instead of longing for more. He's a little old fashioned......like in his desire to stick with traditional anniversary gifts......

For the second anniversary the traditional gift is cotton-here was his gift to me......

Not really......but that was his attempt at sticking with the traditional cotton. He gave me two diamond bands to wear along with my ring or alone for when I go to the gym. It was perfect.

Matt brings out the best in me as both a spouse and a mother. Every day he makes me want to be better.....for our God, for him, for myself, and for our family.

Happy Anniversary Matthew-I promise to put you before all things, second only to Christ. I promise to challenge and take risks with you. I promise to maintain a sense of humor and be your best friend. I will respect, encourage, and cherish you. I will not leave you or turn back from following you; where you go, I will go, and where you live, I will live. Your family will be my family, and your God, my God. I will be faithfully yours all the days of my life.

Love



















No comments:

Post a Comment