Thursday, October 11, 2012

Teaching......

Every weekday I read this wonderful blog http://www.lifewithgreyson.blogspot.com/. Her post "Teach" spoke to me in so many ways. 

As much as I LOVE the blessing of being home with my children and I would never choose to return to work right now-I miss teaching. There are always reminders-I hear from former students, I run into past colleagues, I bump into my last superintendent (who asks how soon I can come back)........or I read a blog like Chrissy's. 

Chrissy shared that she only loves teaching her son (not other peoples bitties), and I laughed. When I volunteer in Gage's class I can't wait until it's time to go home. I don't like teaching other peoples bitties either......only the "big kids" as Gage calls them. 

She wrote of teachers, "They love our children! Yes- They said LOVE!" and it's true. I loved my kids.....even the ones I really didn't like. I worried about them at night and on the weekends, longed for them to make good choices, gave them my best advice, and hoped the best for their futures. 

One thing Chrissy wrote really spoke to me. Between my teaching positions, when Gage was two, I went back part-time as a sub. I only took jobs that were at high schools in Clovis Unified because I really only like the big kids and I would be close to home if Gage needed anything. I also subbed a little at Hoover High because I wanted to visit with my former colleagues. During that time I took a long-term sub position at Clovis North High School. For anyone who doesn't know this would be the "best of the best"......the elite, the privileged, and the best of Clovis Unified. At least that's the way it seemed coming from Hoover High. Friends would say, "Isn't it nice to teach there?", "That must be a great change from Hoover", or "Wouldn't it be great if you got hired there next year?" 

I have to admit, there were a few upsides-the school was clean, the bathrooms and backpacks were both well-stocked, and it was a gorgeous campus. Aside from those-I HATED that job. It was BORING.....and I knew if I were ever to take a position there-I might never be a difference-maker again. Those were the best words I could come up with to describe why I didn't like that job and why I would take a position there ONLY because my own children will likely attend. So I loved to read in Chrissy's post, "I have learned through my life with Grey that teaching a child that is smart attentive and engaged feeds the ego...and teaching a kid like Grey- hard to keep focused, slower to learn-but still tries--(and sometimes makes you want to bang your head against a wall)---feeds the soul... It takes more patience and confidence than these words can convey... But it is so so worth it."

I don't need to feed my ego-just my soul. Thank you, Chrissy, for the beautiful words today and every weekday.

Gracie's up-
Love

No comments:

Post a Comment