Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Visitors......

I've mentioned that I've just had to get over my house being a mess.....that I have to let people see it messy because if I didn't I would never see anyone. That's easy when it comes to friends and family but it's another when it isn't.........

A few Fridays ago Matt called me around 6:30 on his way home. Reception was really poor and I couldn't understand anything he was saying. Five minutes later he showed up with a business associate, Brett, that he had invited over for the evening after they'd been golfing for the afternoon. I wanted to die. My house was a disaster, I had scrounged up some leftovers into burrito bowls for us to eat for dinner but had nothing to offer him to eat, I still had to get all three little ones to get fed, bathed, and ready for bed (and with a guest I knew I'd have no help from Matt), and I hadn't showered......I stunk.

In that moment I was so irritated that he would invite a guest over. Ugh. Brett told me about how his wife is meticulous and maintains a really clean house.......as I smelled like the gym (I hadn't been there, I just smelled like it) and looked out at a floor covered in toys and baby paraphernalia. Fantastic.

So embarassing.

Deep breath. I scrapped our bowls and stretched them into quesadillas so I would have something for everyone to eat. I managed to get Gracie dinner and a bath, the twins bathed, fed, and off to bed (Gage wasn't home). Following that I made a quick loaf of banana bread (I like to offer something baked when we have guests) and picked up the house while it was baking. But I still stunk......

On our last farm visit I was telling my mother-in-law this story......about how I was embarrassed about the house and couldn't believe Matt would invite someone over so last minute, without warning, knowing how crazy my life is right now. She gave me another perspective.......she said that it was a compliment that Matt would bring home a guest. It showed he was confident that I would be welcoming and hospitable to his guest despite the lack of notice. She suggested that he will not remember what the house looked like, only the way we made him feel.

Something to think on for sure.

I'm STILL embarrassed about the way things were........but I need to get over it because when I think about it, I'm confident that Brett would gladly come over again for a quesadilla, some homemade banana bread, and some good company.

Here are some pics to enjoy........

Another Jay eating Ashlyn pic......
 Uncle Josh and Ashlyn.....
 Gracie bossing the babies.....
 He loves his sisters......
 Backyard carwash.....
 I love this one.....
 So fresh and so clean.....

Laundry basket=reading nook....
 "Look Mom, I'm thinking about First Grade".......
 Megamind......
 Jay.....
 They love to be outside.....
 Ashlyn makes this face all the time.....
 Water makes the backyard better....
 And yet another Jay eating Ashlyn pic......

A quick story....Gracie was given a Dora the Explorer book for her birthday and she brought it over to Matt to read it. He opened the book and read out loud, "Hola! Me llamo es Dora" and he slammed it shut, threw it on the ottoman and said, "They bought her the Spanish version!!"........I laughed.......we're clearly a little removed from television and pop culture over here.....

More on pop culture next time.....

Love.







No comments:

Post a Comment