Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Duck Dynasty, Mother Theresa and some pics of the kids......

This blog is wayward.......sometimes just a journal to remind myself and my children of our life experiences, sometimes a therapeutic break for this overwhelmed mama, sometimes a way to remind myself how to be the best example for my children.....

I avoid controversy-by nature. I'm not confrontational....and for that reason I avoid topics that might ignite confrontation. But today, I'm pushing myself out of my comfort zone....

Social media has been in a frenzy regarding the suspension of Phil Robertson from the A&E show Duck Dynasty for his anti-gay sentiments. If you're here, you've probably come from Facebook and I'm sure you've seen the uproar. My feed was bogged down and I was baited into reading a few posts and following comments........it made me feel sick to my stomach. That's what conflict does to me........now you know the real reason I avoid it.

What I saw, was so much hate and ugliness-from both sides. One poor lady said, "Praying for all involved" and someone responded, "Go ahead and PRAY you stupid sheep. That's the answer-you dumb-ass". Wow. For just a simple statement that she would pray? On the other side there was a guy posting, "$%* the gays, let 'em rot in hell". Again-wow. That's really your best contribution to the conversation?

From controversy like this I hope I can teach my children a better way.......

What I really thought regarding all of the posts and comments on the Phil Robertson/A&E issue was, "These people just need to shut up". But that's not really useful so I went out in search of better words to teach my children in these controversial topics-they should probably just be quiet. What I found in my search for words was a list by Mother Theresa on how to practice humility. Her list includes "To speak as little as possible of one's self.....to pass over the mistakes of others......not to want to manage other peoples affairs.....to accept being slighted, forgotten and disliked........to be kind and gentle even under provocation".  Those would certainly cure all the evils I saw in this controversy.

"To speak as little as possible of one's self"-As I read through the ugly comments I wondered, "Why do these people think their thoughts are so important? So relevant? Why would they think they could speak such words-to anyone, ever". I hope to teach my children that they are not so important that they need to speak, post, or comment on everything that happens around them.
James 1:20 tells us Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger;
Slow to speak....

"To pass over the mistakes of others"-Everybody makes them. My friend Kirtie and I just talked on this last week.....sometimes people say and do things that are hurtful-I still have enough faith in humanity to believe that nine times out of ten-they don't mean to be hurtful. A while ago I shared this post that included a story about a former student and a hurtful comment I made. He chose to look beyond my mistake and know that it was just that-a mistake, and I didn't mean to hurt him. When my children get hurt feelings-I want them to be able to move on from what happened and forgive.
Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another as Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32
"Not want to manage other peoples affairs"-It's none of our business.....I think that's true regarding just about everything.
Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven. Luke 6:37 
"To accept being slighted, forgotten, and disliked"-This is a hard one for all of us.....but it happens and we need to get over it. It's my intention to teach my children that-sometimes your life decisions or just the cards you've been dealt will result in being rejected or discounted. Accept that.....because you are dearly loved by your Heavenly Father no matter what.
God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God in him. 1 John 4:16
"To be kind and gentle even under provocation"-So important. I hope I can teach my children this self-control. You will be provoked.....do not respond with ugliness or hate.
James 1:19-20 tells us Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger, for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.
It's my intention to be the best example I can, but I'm certainly not perfect. Today is Christmas Eve......regrettably, I was just "quick to anger" with Gage on this precious morning.  We can only do our best.

Here are some pictures of our precious babies......
It's been tough to keep them still enough for a pic.....
 This is pretty much where he is every time I'm trying to cook dinner.....
 Pics with Santa at Copper River.....Gracie would NOT sit with Santa and sadly, Gage missed out this year

 Anytime I sit down I've got these two all over me....
 Making homemade pizza.....it's hard to get any pics of Gage
 Love this girl.....
 And this sweet boy.....
 and this little baby girl....
 My friend Chrissy took this one.....
 and this one...
 and this....which pretty much sums these two up. Ashlyn is content with whatever....and Jay-is not.

This post took me a while to write because my life has been consumed with my children and getting ready for Christmas.....but I wanted to reflect and organize my thoughts before it got too far away.

Tonight we will put the kids to bed and we will await the wonder of Christmas morning. It's beautiful and I hope to capture the joy of Christmas with my family tonight and tomorrow.

Merry Christmas to all that read.....

Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment