Friday, February 14, 2014

Happy Birthday little love babies

A few weeks ago, as conversation turned to Valentine's Day, I told Matt that I thought our Valentine's Day last year was romantic. He replied, "Romantic? No. Special.....touching.....but I wouldn't go with romantic." I guess we have different ideas of romance.......

On Valentine's Day last year, my tiny little love babies, Ashlyn and Jay, were born.
I'm writing this without going back to re-read my post about the story of their birth; I remember it fondly and I like it that way. Maybe later.

Finding out we were having twins was overwhelming. It seemed like everyone around us worried about us, felt sorry for us, or just thanked God that they weren't us. We've made it successfully through the first year, and with more joy than we ever imagined.....





How could you not adore these two most fraternal twins ever?

Ashlyn has the sweetest disposition. Where Gracie cried at just the sight of her uncles, Jack and Tom, Ashlyn walks right over with her arms up wanting to be held. She also loves Grandpa Steve and has always loved her dad (Gracie may be Daddy's girl now but she didn't like him until she turned one). Ashlyn only makes a fuss when something is really wrong-she's hurt or needs changed. She's just a little bitty thing, but at 17 pounds she outweighs Gracie at one year. She's officially one year and still has not one tooth. Every now and again her hair looks a little red but she's still just a blondie I never knew I'd have. When she wears certain hats or bows she looks unrecognizable-without her ears she's just not my Ash. When I kiss her cheeks they are firm, like little Cuties. As Gracie does, Ashlyn loves her blanket. She shoves a little piece of the satin trim between her chin and pacifier when she's sleepy. She has gorgeous blue eyes and is so expressive.....
She makes faces that me think she really knows what's going on. I wouldn't be surprised if she proves to be the most quick-witted of our children. She's been the easiest of our babies to care for and she is so special to us all.



And Jay-he is SO funny to me. When we chose his name we searched the various meanings for Jay and we found-rejoice, joy, happiness, and victory. He has certainly lived up to the joy. Compared to Ashlyn he is more needy and requires more of my attention-but he's also VERY happy. Anytime you talk to him he gives back the biggest grin and you get to adore that sweet little dimple in his cheek. Just this morning one of the ladies at the gym daycare said, "Dusty he's always so happy. He's such a jolly little guy!" He definitely seems to be that "all-boy" that people describe. He's more active and gets into more trouble already than any of the others....
He just bulldozes over poor Ashlyn. When I kiss his cheeks they're so soft and squishy like a marshmallow. His laugh is something we all just can't get enough of.



The best thing about these two is the amount of joy they bring Gage and Gracie. Every mom with many worries about making sure that each child feels loved and has enough attention. The twins have been such a gift to Gage and Gracie that any less time with me is filled with even better time and experience with their siblings. Over and over I approach Jay and say, "Come here my little baby guy" or Ash and say, "Good morning my sweet baby girl". Gracie always says, "No, Mom! That's MY baby guy" or "Ash is MY baby girl". She means it. Gage has been SO proud of the babies, especially as they've learned to walk and now start to talk. Gage always tries to get Ashlyn talking and he'll tell me, "Mom, did you hear that?! She just said 'Hi' (he imitates her little baby voice). Did you hear her?! She said it. She really did!"

We've had a year of adjusting, moving, managing, laughing and crying. It has been a year of little sleep, learning to parent multiples and figuring out how to function as a "large" family. Best of all it's been a year of smiles, filled with more LOVE and JOY than I ever imagined.....

Happy Birthday my little love babies!

We love you dearly, xoxo





No comments:

Post a Comment