Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Like Weeds

I spend most my days with these three little loves.
They are hilarious and growing like weeds. Jay and Ashlyn have started to take notice of one another in a new way over the last several weeks. If I get milk for one then they stand and wait saying, "Sissy cup" or "Jay cup" waiting to get a cup for the other. They also started napping in separate rooms so the first thing they ask for when they wake up is the other. It also means that they've started to tattle. When one takes a toy away they come crying and pointing to me, "Sissy truck" or "Jay book" letting me know what has happened. Gracie's been starting to say really hilarious things too. Today she was complaining about her puzzle, "This is a tricky one". Or as I shared on Facebook, "That disgusting smell is mom's soup". They are growing like crazy.

You might forget that I've got this guy too.
This one. This one reminds me that these are the years......

Lately it's really been on my mind how important these school-age years really are. A few weekends ago Gage had a soccer game that I planned to go to but the weather had turned and I didn't want the little ones out in the cold. Long story short, Gage's dad couldn't take him. Matt was out of town so I had to take Gage and the three little ones to the game by myself when I was not prepared. I'll spare you the many reasons that morning was the pits. We showed up. He played. And we drove through Starbucks for a warm drink and coffee cake on the way home.

In the big picture was it really that important for him to make the game? No. But I wanted him to know that if he's going to play-he needs to be there. 

Because these are the years. This is when he'll learn that we often have to do things we don't want to do. That's not just something that happens here at home. It's time for him to learn that he'll play on teams that are terrible-that doesn't mean he can quit or miss games. He'll have friends that get him into trouble-that doesn't mean he can pass the blame. He'll have schoolwork that challenges him-that will mean giving up something fun to make it a priority. It's all part of being a good person. Teaching those lessons is easier said than done. Wish me luck!

On another note it's that time of year to think about what we have to be thankful for.....

Last week I went to drop Gage at soccer practice. It was close to 5pm. The kids from Campus Club were out playing basketball. Something hit me when I saw them. I realized that while I had already been filled in on the day, these parents hadn't seen their kids yet. I already knew that Gage did terribly on his spelling pre-test. We went over some ways for him to remember the correct spelling. I had already helped him make an apple with peanut butter for a snack and taught him how to slice an apple without getting hurt. I had already listened to his guitar lesson as he passed a few more exercises and learned to tune it himself. It was in that moment of seeing those kids that I realized the value of staying home, even as the parent of a school-age child. It's easy to explain why I stay home with our little ones, but this was the first time I really saw how it's valuable to Gage too. Please do not read this as judgement toward working parents, a necessity for every parent/child relationship, or as though I'm saying a working parent is not "there" for their children. It is just that for MY family, where our evenings are VERY full-I'm happy to have those after school hours as time to be with, teach, and just talk to Gage.  

I wish I could say that I'll be back to blog again soon, but I probably won't. So here's a billion pics of the kids since I've been lagging on writing. Enjoy.

He's still drooling, can you spot it?
I wish I had more patience to push her. She would swing for hours.
This is my most challenging child to photograph. The blond hair, the fair skin, the faces-it's too much for me.
Seriously. How do you photograph a child when their hair glows? 
But she has got the cutest little profile ever.
This guy is all boy.
The entire time we were at the Discovery Center she wanted to be in the kitchen/grocery area. Mama's girl.
Her face. Seriously. I thought Gage was expressive, this one takes the cake.
He's handsome.
I love her. Even with her messy hair she's perfect to me.
This is Jay's "sissy" face. This is what he looks like when he's complaining about one of the girls.
Barefoot at the park. Always. Even now that it's cold she always takes them off.
Her curls are starting to straighten out and I'm heartbroken.
His are staying strong.
Gage is growing up. Suddenly being tough is important.
Intense. Football against yourself is very serious business.
Man I wonder if I could still get my leg that high.
He loves teaching her things.
And Jay loves cookies. With frosting.
Ash likes hers without. 
This one just made me laugh.
Jay as Olaf
Gage as a football player
Attempted group shot
Gracie as a brunette Elsa. She refused the wig I bought.
Sisters.
Ashlyn as a blond Anna. She also refused with wig.
Brothers.
Pumpkin carving at Grandma Stacey's. This was the first year he was patient and focused enough to complete his own pumpkin.
Cousins.
Baking with mama. You need a big white cup of tea for baking.
This went surprisingly well. Bring on Christmas!
Hands down the most independent child of mine. Me buckle. Me do it. No help. Me do it.
Couldn't even get one to look.

Until next time!

Love.



No comments:

Post a Comment