Thursday, January 9, 2014

I'm just the creative type.....that's all

Today I decided I would sew. That meant that I wasn't going to do much else. So instead of the gym this morning I got out my machine and accessories. I don't have a good place to store my craft stuff in this house. There is no pantry and not ONE linen closet. The bathrooms (aside from master) also have NO drawers. Seriously. Thankfully this house isn't mine and it's only temporary. Anyway, I don't even have a good place for sheets and towels let alone sewing supplies and fabrics. Just getting my stuff ready took the entire morning.

Awhile ago I started a "fall" top for Gracie. Except there was no fall, really. And there's yet to be a winter either. I can't stand rain but we are in desperate need so prayers for rain it is........

Back to Gracie's top. I started it shortly after making her Halloween costume but I never finished. Today was the day. The top was inspired by was this one.....
EmmylouBeeDoo!: Swiss Dot September Tunic

but when I followed the links the Etsy pattern said "SOLD". So I went about making the top without a pattern. It never quite turns out exactly like I want when I do that but I figure it's all part of learning. Here's the final product on Gracie.....

She really thought she was a model. It wasn't bad but the bodice should be shorter and the ruffled part longer. It's still cute. I will probably make another one because I like the shape and buttons down the back. The next one will be better.

As I was working on the project I couldn't quite figure out how to make the back part for the buttons without having ugly seams or fraying. I called upon my handy back neighbor Mandy for help. Before she could come I figured it out so I told her not to worry. But then.......then.......as I was seam ripping the last button hole I accidentally ripped through the button hole and made a big tear in the top. It was literally the last step in making the shirt and BOOM-ruined. I called on Mandy again. She came. She helped. We conquered.

We were sitting at the table and our girls were playing when I realized I had yet to apologize to her for what she walked into. I had taken a shower earlier but I threw on comfy clothes to sew in. I had on a Stanford t-shirt and sweatpants.....both belonging to Matt. My floor was covered in toys and my table in fabrics. I had a poopy diaper in the trash can that probably stunk up my whole house. There's so much poop around here I really don't notice anymore. My sink had dishes in it from breakfast that had yet to be loaded into the dishwasher. My house is clean.....it's just a mess. You're not going to find a ring around the toilet.....but you may step on a Lego on your way to the bathroom. You know what I'm saying? If you have kids you do.

Plus it was a sewing day....like this saying I saw on Pinterest....
That's the kind of day I was having. 

I have friends who are able to keep their homes up SO much better than I ever could. Some won't even let you in their home unless it's what my mom used to call, "company clean". Sometimes I want to be that......but at the same time I'm totally okay with the fact that I'm not.

This Christmas I was given a cookbook. Like many cookbooks, the author has a little story before each section. In one, she writes, "No matter what stage of life you're in, learn something from everyone you meet. You can't do that if you keep your doors shut. Open your door to visitors. Most people don't even care what you cook or if you have enough; mostly they just need a listening ear. You'll be surprised what you can teach others, and you'll be surprised what they can teach you."-Miss Kay

For me, it was inspiring. My house probably won't be "company clean" for another fifteen years. But my door is always open anyway. And I usually have food. And tea. And we might be able to teach each other something. Come on over. Seriously. Feel the mess. It's good.

Love.






No comments:

Post a Comment