Thursday, January 30, 2014

Potty training sucks......

A few weeks ago I potty trained Gracie........

I'm not going to go into the details, just a little recap. I did some online investigating and decided to modify the "potty training in three days" to work for our lifestyle.  This meant staying home all day, every day, until she was trained. I thought I was kind of a homebody......it would be no problem cause I like being home. BUT-it wasn't that good kind of staying home where you either get tons of stuff done or you curl up on the couch with a good book. It was potty-training staying home and I couldn't get ANYTHING done. I did three things while we trained-sat by the potty giving encouraging words, changed her underwear, and laundry. That was it. We didn't make it in three days. On the fourth day she started to cry in the morning when it was time to sit on the potty. She wanted a diaper.....and I wanted to cry. I had NOT stayed home all week for her to give up now. I HAD to leave the house before I lost it. Alyssa came while I went to work in Gage's class and Gracie tried on the potty but continued the accidents. Day 5 I decided that we weren't going to give up but we also weren't going to spend another day on lock down at home. So we went to Costco. I put her in panties because we weren't going backwards and prayed she didn't have an accident while we were there. She didn't. And that day she "got it". She finally relaxed enough to go on the potty and we haven't had any accidents for two weeks!!

Now she gets a few more months and we work to stop the thumb-sucking......there's always something.....

Ashlyn is officially a walker. Now if she falls she gets up to walk again instead of crawling. Jay is close behind, he's up to about 10-12 steps at a time. Their personalities can be seen in their walking. Ashlyn is deliberate and doesn't mind taking her time. She takes a few steps-regains balance.....takes a few more steps then regains composure. Jay looks like a drunk guy chasing someone. He's on a mission to get where he wants to go.....no time to worry about keeping it together. He's face-planted right into the ground a number of times.

Tonight I wanted to get a good video of Jay taking some of his early steps. I have some of Ashlyn from a few weeks ago and it's his turn. He walked to Gage and I was able to capture a few good steps. Gracie said, "Can he walk to me Mom?" so I turned him around to walk to her and started my video. Clearly I wasn't thinking it through because when he reached her he fell into her and they collapsed right onto the tile floor with a big THUD as Jay's head hit the floor. Oops. Poor little guy. I wanted to post the video to Instagram because until the fall it was so sweet. She wanted to be the big sister and she was so proud of him walking to her. When I went to post I was tempted to cut the video short, right as he made it to her.......but I didn't. I wanted to keep it real. That's my real life; that kinda crap happens all the time. I scooped him up and he hardly cried at all. It's not the first thud and it certainly won't be the last.

Jay and all his teeth....
 I sewed this little peplum top for Gracie. It was my first fully-lined garment with an invisible zipper....
 She's working on her "ta-da"
 Ash was mad because everyone was playing outside.....and she wanted to join but she was too afraid to crawl down.....so she just yelled at us from the door
 Gage caught in a picture.....
 Gracie and her favorite boots.....
 This one is so sweet.....
 I love this pic because Gracie often tilts her head like this when she's talking......
 Sisters......
 This guy has such a good grin.....
 He was in wonder....
I haven't made it a habit (although I want to start) to ask people to take pictures of and for me. There was a nice gentlemen who first asked, "Are they all yours?" (Grr....) then said, "You take pictures of them but who takes pictures of all of you together? Let me take one for you" It was so nice to have someone just offer. I love these four......

Every day something crappy happens around here.......Jay bumps his head, Gracie sneaks into the granola bars and gets chocolate on the couch, Gage clogs the toilet with his overuse of toilet paper for the eleventy-hundredth time, or Ashlyn......well, she hasn't really caused any crap yet. Anyway, there's always plenty of good stuff to make up for it. Just today Jay started walking more, I got to hang out with Gage after the little ones went to bed and we played the Wii, Ashlyn toddled around here all day as the tiniest walker I've ever seen, and Gracie gave her babies medicine and put them to bed "because they're sick and need rest". .

Until next time, Love.





No comments:

Post a Comment