Friday, May 25, 2012

King of kindergarten.....or so I thought

This is Gage.....

So independent......if I hadn't set boundaries before we starting riding he would never look back for me. He would just ride to wherever he felt like going. He's already asking how old he has to be to have the "be home by dark" rule.


No fear of new people (like this neighbor we've never met)....or dogs....or roller coasters, or anything that I know of other than the deep end.

We've had many talks about strangers. Gage would have walked into the home or gotten into the car of anyone who invited him. I asked him once, "What would you do if the garbage man offered to take you for a ride around the block in his truck?"  His response, (I would say I could never forget this talk but I KNOW I will-which is why I'm blogging about it), "Seriously?!? That could happen?!? I could go for a ride in the garbage truck?!?" The look on his face said it all.......he looked as though I'd just told him we were going to Disneyland! As if his childhood dream was about to come true. Oh no........this was followed by a 20-minute discussion where I had to explain that even though we see the garbage man every week and we always wave-the garbage man is still a stranger, and he is never allowed to go for a ride in his truck. I think Gage must have said "yeah but" at least twenty times that day.

Earlier this week we had Gage's kindergarten assessment. Even though I sometimes worry, Gage is totally ready. He knows all of his colors, shapes, can count to 49 before he says, "Is that far enough? Counting is boring", knows all the letters and numbers, ties his shoes, writes his first and last name, and thanks to Grandma Debi, can make his way through any Dick and Jane book. In fact, he can correctly use the word assessment. The appointment came last minute, I only had about 4 hours notice. Matt had let Gage stay up WAY past bedtime the night before so my only concern was that Gage doesn't do tired very well. We arrived, walked in and sat down to read a book while we waited. The teacher came out and as I stood up to greet her Gage hid behind my legs. This is totally normal for some people, but in his entire life (I know 5 years isn't that long) he has never done that. He just isn't shy. Ever. I didn't even know what do say or do because he never does that.....and I felt like if I said, "I'm sorry, he never does this" she'd think I was lying.

The teacher had to coax him and bribe him with a sticker to come over and do the assessment. I was so confused......as though suddenly I didn't know my own son. They sat down to begin the assessment and I sat to the side and watched. There are two letters he struggles with on occasion. He often sees a Y, makes the sound and then says it's a U because U starts with the Y sound. She went through the letters and he got Y and U correct. She got to the letter C and he paused. He didn't know it right away. He panicked. He turned and looked up, "Are those Santa Hats for Christmas? Do you guys do a Christmas program? We did at my last school. Is that was those are for? Where's the bathroom? When can I go outside and play?" I've seen a much milder version of this before....where he tries to change the subject. But this was different, it wasn't the "I'm tired of doing this" that I get, it was nerves and embarrassment. He came back and got the C correct.

This assessment taught me that I thought I knew Gage, I thought he was completely predictable.......but maybe I don't know him as student. I only volunteered to work in Gage's preschool class twice. I don't love small children. I taught high school and middle school for a reason. I'm a sucker for smart mouths, attitudes, and inappropriate questions. Gracie is another reason. I haven't had anyone to watch her and she's too little to take with me. So after this assessment I realized, time is limited. There are only so many years that Gage won't mind me working in his class and knowing him, kindergarten will be the last year. There will only be so much time that I can observe him as a student, so I'd better take advantage.

Last night I walked and he rode his bike down to Rite Aid for ice cream. I knew he would pick this disgustingness as soon as I saw it. it's cotton candy. He always picks what I wouldn't. See, in some ways I've got him pegged.

Gracie went along for the ride. She's always got her little feet up.

So I've already talked to one mom about swapping little ones next year. Her daughter will also start kindergarten at Fugman next year, her son will be in first grade, and she's got a little girl just four months older than Gracie. They live right behind us and they are an amazing family. Hopefully it works that we can swap and volunteer once per week next year. I'm gonna have to adapt to snot noses instead of smart mouths. For him.......


I can do it.

Love.

P.S. I know disgustingness isn't a word......but it should be

No comments:

Post a Comment