Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The teacher part of me.....

I miss teaching. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to go back right now, but there are days that I really miss the classroom and the kids. A little background.........I taught for four years. Two at Hoover High School, one at Central High School (East Campus), and one at El Capitan Middle School. Most teachers say that their first year was the most challenging. My first year was hands down my favorite. The year at Central East was my worst. I sucked that year. It was my first year back after being home with Gage, I was roving (no room of my own, but moving classrooms that I shared with other teachers EVERY class period), and my heart just wasn't there. The last year runs a close second for favorite, it was my first year at a middle school and I was far happier there than I had ever imagined I would be. Now that I'm writing it down, I realize my favorite years were those when I learned the most.

Oh my first year, it was hilarious. I laughed every day, usually shaking my head; those kids were so funny. I had just turned 23, so young, I was in great shape, and I knew that some of those boys (and maybe even some of the girls, ha!) were totally hot for teacher. I learned to use it to my advantage. They challenged me-big time. They made completely inappropriate remarks, asked me the most shocking questions, and one showed up at my house one day out of the blue.......which scared me just a little. I had one confess to me they were using steroids, another that confided in me about slitting her wrists, I confiscated a note about one girl being in an abusive relationship, and I had one tell me that someone would cut my finger off for my ring so I should never walk alone at night. It was just crazy......but I loved them and I learned that year how to manage a classroom.  

I always took opportunities for life lessons. I taught things like......ladies-it's not attractive to talk about your period, or going pee. Ever. You just ask to use the ladies room-no one wants to know what you're doing in there. Nobody likes drunk girl. They might like her for the evening but no one wants to marry her. If you're going to have sex-know the consequences and protect yourself. Not sure how to? Ask me......and ask me they did. 

I often think about how different I am in the classroom verses my real life. In most social settings I'm not a leader, I usually just kind of sit back and watch, yet in the classroom I'm always the leader. In my personal life I have been told I'm unapproachable, so one of the greatest compliments from one of my students was........
I always loved going to your class, I learned a lot and never felt like you gave up on me when it seemed like everyone else, including myself had. Honestly, you were a really great female role model for me. Smart, pretty and genuine, approachable... you're one of the people that made me feel like it is possible to have it all. So thank you so much!!
Thank you Chantel for your kind words.....and thank you for using that brain of yours to pursue your education to the fullest. I love that you use financial aid for it's intended purpose and do your VERY best.
And these words from Courtney make me miss teaching....
 I love reading your blog and I think it's awesome that you can still teach me life lessons years after I was in your class.
Both of these were students from my first year of teaching (2004-05) that I still hear from today. Both are continuing their education. I love that.

I want to go back to school. I want to teach in the credential program.....to teach teachers pursuing careers in high school and middle school. Now is not the time but I hope someday soon it comes.

Now is the time for these two.......

and any others we might decide to have :) But when this is over, I have something else to look forward to.......something I love.

Love.







No comments:

Post a Comment