Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The SHOCK of Twins......

Wednesday of last week we were headed over to the coast for a little mini vacation. Matt had to attend a conference for work and I decided the kids and I should beat the heat and join him. Our appointment for the ultrasound was that morning on our way out of town........

We went in to Dr. Swanson's office with the kids and had Gage wait in the lobby area and look at the goldfish. We were waiting for the first ultrasound to tell anyone we were expecting-including Gage. When she started with the ultrasound I thought something was a little different. Why is she moving it like that? Why does it look like there are two different black circles? Must be the angle..... Then she said, "Guess what guys.........there's two." "What?" was the first thing I said, followed by, "Are you serious? There's two? My friend is having twins.....I really never thought I could be too." Then I cried.

I didn't cry of sad.....I just cried of shock. I was completely overwhelmed as my mind raced.....I will probably have a c-section this time, they could come early, they could have to go to the NICU, bed rest, how did this happen, we need a new car, stretch marks, bed rest means no exercise, maybe I won't have to go on bed rest if I just don't exercise, babies won't be put on my chest when they come out, Gracie better be walking by then, and on, and on.....but all in a matter of seconds.

Matt had the most blank stare at the screen. It wasn't a frown, it wasn't a smile.....it didn't look like excitement, or distress or anything. I couldn't read him at all. We didn't even ask any questions. We just gathered up our stuff and left the office in shock. We hadn't even told Gage we were pregnant and since we were all in the car together we didn't really get a chance to process it through discussion. Matt had a business dinner the first night we arrived in Pismo; so after putting the kids to bed I started my psychotic Google searches......preparing for twins.... likelihood of fraternal vs. identical twins....average delivery date for twins......average weight for twins at birth.......weight gain with twins......exercise during twin pregnancy.....triple stroller....double stroller......breastfeeding twins......twins sleep schedule.......and on and on. I couldn't sleep.

Two days later I called my mom and gave her the news first. She was almost as shocked as we were. She kept saying, "What.....what?" Matt wanted to wait to tell anyone else until he had a chance to tell his parents. He's funny about giving big news like that in person. I told him that we had to tell them quickly because talking about it is how I'm going to cope with it! We were far too tired to drive down to Weldon and we realized that our next trip home would probably be for the arrival of Tom and Kristi's baby boy. We didn't want to make the announcement on that trip because we didn't want to take anything away from the arrival of their precious baby. So we decided to call and deliver the news. They were certainly excited for us!!

On our way home from Pismo Gage wasn't with us so we had a chance to finally talk about it freely. We came to a few realizations......1-We know that God only gives us what we can handle-so what an honor that He would give this gift to us, 2-This is something that not everyone gets to experience, so what a blessing to be given this gift, 3-We've got this.

When Gage returned from time with his dad we shared the news. His response (with a nervous laugh): "MOM!! How am I going to take care of THREE babies!! That's a lot of babies we're going to have!!" I told him that he'll be starting school and won't be taking care of the babies and he said, "Yes I will. That's my job when I get home from school to take care of the babies!! You have to take care of everything else around the house!" He was shocked and overwhelmed but excited-just like me.

When I started this blog I talked about how I was inspired by my Noni......she was a twin and I'm excited to have the first twins in our family to follow......

Love.







No comments:

Post a Comment