Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Bigger, better, and more......

Sometimes it just sneaks up on us.....materialism. I mentioned in the last post that I don't want to get caught up in having bigger, better, and more.

The home I live in today would have been a dream to me as a child. Last weekend we were at my moms going through old pictures and I found one of Amy and Josh taking a bath......in some of the most disgusting bath water I've ever seen. It was just rust in the water but honestly it was so tragic to look back at that little house we lived in and the rust that came with it.

I found this pic of me and I actually see a little bit of Gracie......

The house we live in now was beyond my imagination as small child and our cars the same. I don't think anyone in Dos Palos drove a BMW when I was growing up (there might be one or two now); I didn't even know what that was........but we don't live in Dos Palos. We live in a place much more materialistic, and it's TOUGH not to let it seep in.

We've been researching how to prepare for twins, what baby items we actually need two of, what we want one or two of, and which we can live without at all. At the same time I've been reading Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls (semi-companion to The Glass Castle if you've ever read it). At one point the main character is discussing the introduction of indoor plumbing to which her father responds, "Who would want a shitter in their house?" ........funny to consider another perspective on something I can't imagine living without. I enjoy thinking about the old, maybe it's the old soul I'm said to have. It made me think though.......no matter how much I tell myself I need that overpriced double stroller with the toddler seat attachment for Gracie........


the fact is, we don't need much at all. Just marinate on that stroller for a second.........how crazy is that?

I can't even begin to express the gratitude I have for a husband that feels the same about needs, wants, and materialism........who knows that happiness can be found in the simplest times in of life and that money is just that-and doesn't bring contentment at all. At the same time he works so hard to provide what I would have considered a life of luxury when I was a child. Three years ago Matt was single and living with his best friend in an apartment......I came in like a tornado with a child in tow and in no time he was a married father of.......four. We joke about it often, but I know he is honored to take care of us. I'll remind you unmarried girls again-marry someone smarter than you.

Getting online to do my research for the twins and talking to all of my expecting friends it's so easy to get the wants and start to focus on material things. Just like the minivan I remind myself that I don't need bigger, better, and more. We've already got that with twins on the way-bigger, better, and more family.......and nothing beats that.

Love.




No comments:

Post a Comment