Thursday, January 24, 2013

Car Seat Covers.......

After I made the bedding for the twins I had a TON of leftover fabric. All the fabrics had been ordered online and can't be returned. I decided I wanted to make car seat covers. Months ago Christina let me borrow her car seat cover as a sort of template and I searched for online tutorials. I found one here that I decided to use because instead of a big floppy cover she re-covered the actual seat giving it a more clean look.

It wasn't easy. We decided to use Gracie's carrier and buy another one just the same for the boy so they would fit the same in car/strollers/etc. I'm terrible with my before/after pics but here's what the original car seats looked like:



Imagine without the bunting because we live in the central valley and I just tossed that out.

So I started with the one for baby girl.........

This tutorial requires that you use a seam ripper to take apart the cover.......like this


So that's what I did. Then I covered the desired pieces with fabric and went to sew them back together......only to find that it was too thick for my machine and I was only catching every 10-50th stitch. I thought, "Matt is going to die when he finds that I have destroyed the car seat and can't get it back together." Thank God for Sew-N-Sew......I took it there and they put the pieces back together again.

Here it is.......


Any sane person would have just given up on doing the second car seat.....not me. I was determined to cover baby boy's too. This time I made one little change and I was able to complete the project myself-can you spot the difference?



It was the minky piping on hers.....in the original cover it was just a thin nylon and when I covered with the minky it became too thick for my machine. So his went without......and I actually like the way it looks without the piping better.

Anyway......that was the last of the major sewing projects I wanted to get done before the twins arrive.



Ta-da!!

Love

1 comment: