Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Complete preschool-check

Today was Gage's end of the year program at his preschool. I'm not sad that he's growing up. Not even a little bit. I CAN'T WAIT for him to start kindergarten. He's ready and I am too. Some people feel sad when their kids reach big milestones......not me. I KNOW that time flies, I KNOW they're only little for so long, but I STILL look forward to his growth. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to forget who he is right now as a little boy, that's part of why I'm blogging, but his growing independence is wonderful to watch. Yesterday his father pointed out that Gage doesn't give him a kiss goodbye anymore. Of course he doesn't......he's not a baby-he's a BOY. There's nothing baby about him anymore. Fine with me.

Gage was a wonderfully easy baby. 

He slept 12 hours straight by 4 months, he wasn't fussy during teething, he was naturally a scheduled 2-nap baby for a long time, and he would sleep anywhere I needed him to. He was an early talker so I never faced not knowing what he needed or why he was crying. 
Gage's first Easter
People would ask me how I got him to sleep so well.............I put him to bed one night and he woke up 12 hours later. Then he did that again every night following. He was a dream baby, but I'm completely okay with the fact that he's not a baby anymore. 
This is why we keep Gage's hair short, ha!
Gage thrives on engaging with other people. He always asks if he can play in the front yard instead of the back. Why? Because in front he might run into the garbage man, the gardeners, the neighbors, the neighbors gardeners, Malcolm (the UPS guy), someone, anyone that he can talk to.......always been that way. Even as an infant he would go to anyone that held their arms out to him. 

When Matt's parents met Gage for the first time we had been together for several months. We went on a fishing trip in Mammoth. 

He was almost three years old and had no problem grabbing a book and crawling into Debi's lap to ask her to read him a story. They adored his loving and affectionate nature. From age three until now Gage has become more challenging. He began REALLY talking and hasn't stopped since. 

Last week he came home and told me that his year end program was quickly approaching. He wanted to wear a tie as well as deodorant and cologne. He did. He wasn't the only one with a tie.....but he was the only one to make it look so good with just a t-shirt and some chucks. 


He looks old. Like I said, nothing baby about him. We went to Barnes and Noble earlier this week. As we walked in he said, "I want to get some learning books. Not work books. I want to get some learning books because I want to be smart like Matty and go to Stanford." I hope he does. More importantly, I hope that he is full of kindness, gentleness, and self-control. We work on it every day. Sometimes the days are long and I really wish he would stop talking and let me enjoy the sound of peace and quiet. But that kid says the funniest things and as his mother I need to teach him to make the most of who he is. Just in the last couple of weeks I have noticed him getting better.......waiting his turn to speak, recognizing the right time to ask a question, considering others.........he's growing. Every day. That's fine by me.  

Love. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment