Tuesday, June 26, 2012

"Got your keys mom?" PART 2

Let me explain how we know my Momnesia is worse than anyone else's.......this wouldn't be so significant except that I just spent time reflecting on this very topic......

Gage is taking summer fun classes through Clovis Adult Education-dinosaurs, wrestling, etc. This afternoon at ten till one (one being the time he's finished) I get a call from them saying that Gage is in the Summer Fun Zone waiting for me. "That's weird," I replied, "he should be in the Dinosaurs class until 1pm." "Oh no," she says, "Dinosaurs is only on Thursdays so he's been waiting in the Summer Fun Zone since his first class was over." His classes are all two days per week-except that one, and I clearly forgot.......or wasn't paying attention......or made an assumption......or something......wrong. So I have that worst mom ever feeling even though he was just fine with it when I picked him up. I'm lucky, Gage has a mature mind. He wasn't afraid that I didn't come to get him. In fact, he's been asking every day if he can go to that Summer Fun Zone and I say no...I'm pretty sure he didn't say anything to the staff earlier because he wanted to check it out and enjoy himself. I still felt awful.

Then it was time to run errands. I looked at my shopping list that and I realized that I COULD get them all at one place but my ONLY option was Walmart. Ugh.....it's the worst........but today it was better than making three stops so that's where we went. It was busy and annoying. We're almost done when Gage had to use the bathroom and couldn't hold it. He's in the "family" bathroom and after several minutes in there he peeks out and says he needs me to come in. I take the whole cart into the bathroom and he explains that every time he leans forward to wipe-the toilet flushes, it scares him and he has to "go" again. Awesome. Being a mom is so ridiculous sometimes.

Finally we check out and I unload the groceries. I always park next to a cart collection spot and Gage has the job of returning the cart. I set my purse down in the trunk and throw the keys on top, I unload the items, turn back to the cart with one hand and with other I close the trunk. I immediately realize the keys are in the trunk and they're locked inside.....along with my wallet, my phone, and my whole life except my children. So we head back inside and I ask to use the phone. The Walmart employee explains to me that I cannot use the phone because they had too many people abusing the phone by slamming it back down angrily.........seriously? Only Walmart. Am I really going to have to ask a stranger in Walmart to use their cell phone? I explain to her that I have no phone, my keys and purse are locked in my car and I have two small children to tend to-I really need to use the phone. She hesitantly gives in. To make a long story short we waited about 20 minutes for the tow truck and he was able to get us taken care of very quickly.

We get in the car and I say, "This has been a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day." We've been reading that book that last couple weeks and to me-it wasn't my best day..........first I forgot (or whatever) to pick my kid up from summer school then I lock my keys in the car at Walmart of all places. Gage responds, "I thought today was awesome. I got to go to Summer Fun Zone and run around in the big gym and watch a movie and I got to ride in a tow truck!! I mean, that was better than the garbage truck. I think I want to drive a tow truck when I grow up instead of being a garbage man!!"

Perspective, right? So I did have to spend 20 more minutes at Walmart than I wanted......but what a great time to teach my kids lessons of what NOT to wear and how NOT to behave....and Gage had a blast at Summer Fun Zone and got to ride in a tow truck. Things could always be worse........

Your Momnesia could be as bad as mine!! Until next time....

Love.


No comments:

Post a Comment